Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Crazy Mom Quilts QAL

I've decided to join my first quilt-a-long. Crazy Mom Quilts started one this month with a patter she came up with and that I like. Week one starts here.

I bought my background fabric yesterday and cut it out today. The instructions were very clear (once I figured out the 65"x wof part). That did confuse me at first being more used to instructions like 2 1/2 x wof. The Jelly roll I purchased doesn't have enough strips so I will either have to buy another one or return it and get two packs of fat quarters with the same fabrics. I'm not really thrilled with the fabrics in the roll but they will do (in that they match the room I want to use the quilt in) but I'm going to try another store this weekend to see if I can find something I like better.
Here is a picture of what I've done so far:



Notes to self about the project so far:
  1. Cutting strips out of 5 yards of fabric is a pain. I think all the strips came out straight but we'll see when I go to sew them together.
  2. The instructions called for cutting shorter strips out of the 65" long strips. I made the shorter strips longer than the instructions called for just in case. There was plenty of fabric in the strips so I new that there was plenty of extra. I can always cut the extra off later.
  3. When cutting the 65" strips into to two pieces, I cut the short piece off of the strip leaving the longer piece instead of cutting the longer piece. Measuring the short piece is easier than measuring and cutting a longer piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment